: Tara Foster (firstname.lastname@example.org)
: TBA. Course starts at PCC prior to dates in country.
: Barcelona and Madrid, Spain
: ENG196 Film Studies: Directors
(WR 115 and RD 115) or IRW 115 or equivalent placement, or instructor permission
: Capstone (a culminating project or experience that supports the learning outcomes of a term course taken at PCC)
: February 15, 2018
Estimated Program Fee
: program details and fee may change slightly in the coming months.
This program is designed to use the immersion into Spanish culture to expand upon the film studies course, focusing specifically on the director, Pedro Almodovar. Students will get to experience the films in their original settings and visit iconic sites that help them to understand the Movida culture, situating films in their cultural context. The program will discuss films as communications and expressions of Pedro Almodovar as a groundbreaking auteur.
The program will visit: places that Almodovar shot on location, where he visited and got inspiration from, where he was born and grew up. SO much of the understanding of his films is based on cultural awareness and understanding the varied subcultural (LGBTQ+, Catholic Nationalist, Food, Language Identity, and Geographical) nuances in his films.
The program will spend 7 nights in Barcelona then will go to Madrid via high speed rail. Students will spend 9 nights in Madrid and take an overnight excursion to Ciudad Real.
Included in Program
- Full day excursion to Ciudad Real
- Visits to important cultural sites in Madrid and Barcelona
- Take a high speed train between Madrid and Barcelona
- Neighborhood and thematic guided walking tours
- Guest lectures on the Spanish film industry and tickets to movies
Not Included in Program
- Housing for entirety of program
- Some meals
- Airport pickup/drop-off
- In-country transportation related to program, including high speed rail transfer from Barcelona to Madrid
- Travel pass for public transportation in Barcelona and Madrid
- Co-curricular/cultural activities
- Museum/park entry fees
- On-site orientation & online pre-departure orientation
- International insurance
- On-site support services
- 24/7 emergency support throughout program
- Round trip airfare
- Non-programmed Meals
- Personal spending money